If I made a list of the Peru tourist places that one needs to visit, surely most would put Machu Picchu at the top of the list. Followed by the Inca Trail, Lake Titicaca and the Amazon. These are the most common destinations that are worth visiting. Now how many of you have snowboarded in your life? Quite a few, right? But how many have tried sandboarding? Not too much, usually. However, you are really missing something! In the Huacachina desert, you can enjoy this activity. Huacachina is home to the largest sand dunes in South America. It is located just 2 hours from the coastal city of Paracas. If you have the opportunity to try sandboarding in Huacachina, we assure you that you will not regret it. Unlike snowboarding, you don’t need experience to sandboard. For this reason, together with the experts of Cusco Peru Travel, we have prepared an article with the most important details of this activity.
Experience sandboarding in Huacachina and other incredible activities
- Enjoy the wonderful Paracas National Reserve before
- The Oasis of Huacachina and the different activities to experience
- The Oasis of Huacachina in modern times
ENJOY THE WONDERFUL PARACAS NATIONAL RESERVE BEFORE
To get to Huacachina you usually start in Lima. From there, a roughly 6-hour bus ride along the Pacific coast will first take you to Paracas in the Ica region. If you have a few days, visit the Paracas National Reserve. The area of approximately 335.00 hectares is a treasure trove of native flora and fauna. It is the oldest marine reserve in Peru that also contains archaeological sites of the pre-Inca culture of Paracas. Apart from that, you will find beautiful beaches with geological formations. The best thing is to spend a full day in Paracas, to fully enjoy this charming destination. Also located are the Ballestas Islands that inhabit several different species of birds, as well as Humboldt penguins, the South American sea lion, sea lions, and many more. A boat trip of about 2 and a half hours takes you there to spend time observing wildlife.
- Tours within the Paracas National Reserve: Tours are generally shared, however many agencies offer a private tour so that you can enjoy this magical place together with your group.
- Alternative tips: Make sure you don’t forget your camera and take pictures of the sea and the lions chilling off the shore! If you are only looking to enjoy sandboarding in Huacachina, don’t worry, in Paracas, you can also enjoy this activity.
THE OASIS OF HUACACHINA AND THE DIFFERENT ACTIVITIES TO EXPERIENCE
From Paracas, it is only a trip of around 1 hour and a half to the town of Ica. From there, it is a short taxi ride to Huacachina. Surrounded by sand dunes, the Huacachina Oasis seems to have been taken out of an image: a lagoon surrounded by trees and a small town in the middle of nowhere. Once there, it is super easy to find a place that offers sandboarding in Huacachina.
- Huacachina Oasis tours: The tours last between one hour and two hours sliding down several dunes. You can also get on a sand buggy to climb the top of the sand dunes and enjoy the vast desert that stretches in front of you. Then get ready to jump on your board and experience the adrenaline rush. For many, the buggy ride alone is exciting enough, winding through the desert to its starting point. Once there and after waxing the board you can stand or lie on it, which is the safest option.
- Different tips to consider: Also make sure not to yell too much, as a lot of sand will fly around your face as you run through the dunes. As you are going at high speed, do not forget to empty your pockets, because the risk of losing and not finding it again is quite great. In addition, long pants that cover the entire leg are recommended as there is a great risk of sand entering everywhere. Sunscreen and water are essential, otherwise, you will end up with a huge sunburn and dehydrated as it is quite hot there. And bring a hat and sunglasses too!
- Other attractions around: After the Oasis you can also take advantage of the beautiful destination of Nazca, home of the renowned Nazca lines. But the lines are not the only attraction, as there are many things to do in Nazca.
THE OASIS OF HUACACHINA IN MODERN TIMES
Today, Huacachina is gaining more and more attention and popularity, and with good reason. Whether you want to take a short trip or are planning luxury tours in Peru, many travel agencies put sandboarding in Huacachina on the list of the best tourist activities in Peru.
- Services around Huacachina: Those who offer their services to organize a trip there are available all the time. Tours are generally arranged to start from Lima. Make sure it includes the Paracas National Reserve as it is on the way. However, you do not need to book a tour through an agency, you can easily go on your own. Simply book a bus in Lima, there are buses that go directly to Ica.
- Hotels and restaurants: Although there are only a few houses around the Huacachina oasis, most of them are restaurants and hostels. So it is no problem to spend more time there and go for the second round of sandboarding the next day or simply enjoy the sunrise on the lagoon.
- Tourists in Huacachina: Tens of thousands of people visit Huacachina every year, backpackers, families, adventurers, everyone who wants to make the exciting experience of running through sandhills.
Huacachina is definitely one of the best destinations to enjoy summer in Peru. That is why it is low in our Top 10 of the best tours in Peru. Among which you can also find Machu Picchu, of course, the Inca Trail, the Sacred Valley, Puerto Maldonado and Iquitos in the Amazon, Lima, and more. Be sure to visit as much as you can to enjoy the best experience of this magical country.
“ADVENTURES ARE THE BEST WAY TO LEARN.”
We hope together with the experts from Cusco Peru Travel to have helped you a little. Sandboarding in Huacachina is an adventure activity that you have to experience at least once in your life. If you want to know more about our adventure tours around Peru, do not hesitate to consult with our advisors. They will be happy to help you with all the details about your next trip.